Thursday, February 17, 2011

Who's Your Daddy?

Let me start out this blog entry with a story about two happy parents adopting a precious baby girl. She is loved unconditionally and raised in a caring atmosphere. Eventually, her parents tell her the truth, "you're adopted." Maybe she feels that it doesn't matter who her birth parents are because her adoptive parents are her true parents. But, maybe she beings to question her entire life.

Well, I am not adopted, so I cannot give speak for any adopted child but I believe the issue of adoption is a sensitive subject. Whether you are the child or the adoptive parents, it can be hard on the parent-child relationship once the secret is revealed.

So, tell me, why would anyone run a controversial program that would offend those people who have adopted children? Fox ran a program called, "Who's Your Daddy?", about an adult who was adopted at infancy searching for her father. That doesn't sound awful but here's the catch, she met with 25 men, one of whom was her biological father. If she picked the man who was her biological father, she wins $100,000. If not, the man who she picked wins $100,000.

When the phrase "Who's your daddy?" comes to mind I tend to think of a pimp The phrase, "Who's your daddy?", is a slang expression that takes the form of a rhetorical question. It is commonly used to show dominance over someone. Not to mention, it can be a sexual reference. Relating the issue of adoption with a such a phrase is disrespectful. Some children are actually asking the real questions, who are my parents and why did they give me up?

To my satisfaction, only the first 6 episodes of this reality tv show was aired, the remaining episodes were not put on television because it received bad reviews from the public. At least the United States hasn't completely lost touch with the true meaning of reality.

3 comments:

  1. This reality show sounds kind of cruel, to me. It's just another case of cable schadenfreude, almost, with the networks toying with some woman's quest to find her birth-father and turning it into a game. All of the guys on the show would pretend to get friendly to her just so she would guess that one of them was her father and get the money. Thank god it's off the air...

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre so inappropriate Kele. "Who's your daddy?" as a sexual reference....sureeee. I love that "analysis" in particular. I see how it is...
    Oh and yeah I do agreee with you about the whole adoption thing i really would not give a damn who my biological parents if they were to give me up in first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha trung i wish i could like a comment like on facebook

    ReplyDelete